Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Canoeing ~ Ifafa River & Ifafa Beach

(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻ 
╭✿╯ One of my many ...and I mean many...hobbies. I absolutely love canoeing, especially in the river, below mum and dad's home in Ifafa Beach (South Africa). We were privileged to grow up along the coast, with our home on the beach, and a river running adjacent to it. It's easy to understand why I love swimming and canoeing as a result, and why I spent many mornings and afternoons swimming in these tranquil waters. It's imperative to know how to swim if you live on the coast. I witnessed 1 death caused by drowning in this same river, which is an experience I don't wish upon anyone. One grew up very quickly back home because life and its dangers were everywhere. That particular incident will be forever embedded in memory. This river is terribly deep, which catered for the ferries (large passenger boats) which sailed across weekly.
Above the river is a railway line and the bridge was used by cargo trains often. We used to jump into the river from the bridge (absolutely crazy...I know, but not as crazy as some of my friends who used to dive in!) More learning experiences there as well. I often protected my dogs from being run over by trains. To get to the beach one had to walk a long distance across a train line. Often trains would approach out of nowhere while we were still walking on the railway line. When this happened I instinctively & gently pushed my dogs against the bridge barriers and shielded them with my body, as the train passed centimetres away from us. I did lose one of my dogs (rottweiler) when my cousin took him for a swim (without our knowledge or consent) and did n't monitor him carefully when crossing the train line and onto the beach. Another painful, defining moment in my life. To say that we lived on the edge was quite the understatement! We had all kinds of experiences with snakes, iguanas, monkeys, hawks, the works...so there was never a dull moment growing up. From time to time, I'll elaborate on a few of those moments, when I add a memory to my "Life events'.
Canoeing in the Ifafa River

I loved swimming the length and breadth of this river often. I'd swim to the middle of the river where an old, rusty remnant of a railway bridge was erected decades before. Then I'd take a short break and float on my back to the shore again because by then I was exhausted. I did n't use tubes or floats then. All the while, I'd have my dog, Rover (a cross between a Great Dane and a Saint Bernard) sit on the sea sand and wait patiently for me to return. Then, we'd walk home together. Sometimes I'd see my mum or dad waving from our home above. If I planned on swimming that day, then I'd only take one dog - the one who listened well. I did n't need to repeat myself with Rover. He was an absolutely gorgeous listener. Sometimes, I'd just need to give him a look and he'd sit there well-behaved, even if other dogs passed. If I planned on sun-tanning, then I'd take all of them. (4-6)



All these defining moments growing up have strengthened my character and have provided me with enough substance to endure atrocities of ALL kinds and for that, I thank You, Lord. 

1 comment: