Monday, February 15, 2021

My Pageant Journey ~ February Blog ~ submitted on 1/2/21

 (¯`✻´¯)

`*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸ღ ♥*✻ღ♥
╭✿╯My February Blog - My Pageant Journey ~ 1/2/21 ~ submitted on 1/2/21
❤


As my pageant journey continues, I marvel at how my life has changed hugely since beginning this journey. Along this journey, I’ve learned greater elements of compassion and giving of my time and efforts to worthy causes, which add quality and meaning to the lives of others. As I reflect on the journey thus far, I smile in disbelief at how I’ve moved out of my comfort zone and far beyond the limits of where I thought I’d go, to make a difference to life and to enhance the lives of others. One example of this was my “Sleep-Out” Fundraiser, which was held on 16/1/21. My Sleep-out Fundraiser for January 2021 was phenomenal… every single aspect of it, from its planning to its conception and implementation.
My initial thought when the decision was first made to have a “Sleep-out” fundraiser, was that it would be an ordinary sleep-out, like camping, where I’d raise some cash for the homeless charity organisation, National (Melbourne) Homeless Collective. Little did I know that when I embarked on this particular fundraiser, I’d be opening up other avenues that I could possibly tap into later, to support my platform and cause. No sooner was the date decided on for the sleep-out, that initiatives linked to the fundraiser immediately followed. A venue was needed to host this fundraiser. As plans were set in motion, everything slowly fell into place. I found myself contacting the Council for their approval of a venue. Their suggestions led to the securing of Akoonah Park for our venue. I never dreamt that I’d be visiting the council offices in person to talk about fundraising activities as a community event. In addition to this, ‘The Star’ newspaper journalist, Danielle, advertised our cause and helped us to raise awareness for Homelessness. Shortly after a telephone appointment with Danielle, a photoshoot followed and an article was published relating to our fundraiser and our homeless cause. Would I have ever imagined this possible? Never! I’m still stunned at it all and shaking my head in disbelief. Everything happened so quickly I’m still reeling from it all and catching my breath.
The sleep-out proved hugely successful, with an amount of $1400 being raised for homelessness. This was truly phenomenal but also mind-blowing. We hope that these funds will provide much-needed sleeping bags and windcheaters for the homeless. I didn’t imagine that this event would be such a powerful initiative. The sleep-out was challenging – it challenged every fibre of our being. The weather on the day was inclement; our only source of food was an unlabelled tin of food and a bottle of water, which we chose wisely to forfeit because toilet facilities were unavailable. Sleeping on concrete floors throughout the night tested our willpower, tenacity and resilience. We survived the night and felt proud of our endeavours the next day. In addition, when I approached Akoonah Park Management to hold a stall for fundraising, they responded positively and immediately. I believe that this occurred as a result of our sleep-out. The ripple effects of the sleep-out were astounding. In addition, the Akoonah Park Management and the Council highlighted their support of my initiatives in future endeavours. What a heart-warming feeling! This Sleep-out initiative would never have crossed my mind, nor gathered momentum and flight, had I not been on this pageant journey. None of this would have transpired without the Australian International Pageant as the forerunner and backing force behind this initiative. I absolutely love this journey, for it teaches me diligence, determination, dedication, will power, communicating my cause and vision, being reflective and being goal-orientated and purposeful.
Another highlight included receiving dairy products as sponsorships, which I then delivered to those in need in the neighbourhood and community. Great friendships were made during my volunteer jobs in the Soup Kitchen and in the Op Shops (Salvos & Vinnies). My Soup Kitchen volunteer tasks occurred almost daily; with preparing, packing and labelling food packs and delivering these to those in need (Monday & Wednesday), food deliveries (Tuesday, Friday), Food Stalls (Thursday), where I assisted in the fruit and veggie area, Op Shops (Saturday) and Soup Kitchen Buffet Meals prepared for those less fortunate on Sundays. All in all, my weeks were productive, purposeful and eventful.
Our January Pageant “Spirit Week” Challenge was thoroughly enjoyed, with postings of daily challenges that depicted a spirit-filled week. What an inspirational month January has been!
Liesel Kippen (Ms Australian International State Finalist – Victoria)
☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ✿╯☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ✿╯ ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment